Last Updated on March 3, 2022
In this pilot episode of Colorful Conversations, we are introduced to Tasha, Joe and Thea. We learn more about their podcast where they chat about DIY, home design, and life at home and we learn the philosophy behind “Kaleidoscope Living”.
Want to listen on your favorite app? Click whichever option you prefer below:
WANT TO JOIN THE LAUNCH TEAM?
The official podcast launch is May 21st! Weekly episodes will be released every Tuesday. If you want to get advance access to the first 3 episodes AND be entered for a chance to win prizes (like an advance copy of the brand new PHYSICAL version of Designer in a Binder or a custom room design by me) click HERE to join the launch team.
In this episode, we discussed:
If you are a new listener to Colorful Conversations, we would love to hear from you. You can find us 24/7 on Instagram @tasha.kaleidoscope and Facebook at Kaleidoscope Living. As a thank you for listening we have an awesome FREE guide called 5 Easy Steps to Design A Room You Love. Text “designtips” to 44222 and you will get the guide in your inbox!
- 1:00 Let’s get to know Tasha Agruso, the brainchild behind Kaleidoscope Living and the beginnings of her blogging journey.
- 5:00 First blog post – “How we transformed our laundry room for $71 out of pocket”, and how Tasha did it all while Joe was working a double shift.
- 7:00 Learn more about Joe, he explains what he brings to the DIY blog table as “his cheapness”. And learn how Joe’s career as a firefighter has lent time to their DIY projects.
- 8:50 Learn more about Thea – currently she contributes to Kaleidoscope Living as the “Content Manager” her title has changed many times as she has journeyed with Tasha.
- 10:10 Why Tasha decided Joe and Thea had to be on the podcast, and the perspectives they will bring to the podcast. Joe’s perspective is very helpful and Thea is a think tank professional #truthteller.
- 12:40 Learn about Designer In A Binder! To purchase Designer in a Binder, visit designerinabinder.com. And as a big thank you for listening, you can enter the code PODCAST to receive 25% off either package.
- 15:00 Tasha decided some changes needed to be made, starting with updating their bedroom furniture and they were shocked at the price, so Joe proclaimed “ I will build it”.
- 16:15 Joe begins his journey from never building anything in his life and started his journey with a bottom of the line circular saw and palm sander. He began building his first piece of furniture starting with two end tables and a headboard.
- 18:35 Tasha has an “aha” moment, realizing they can decorate on a budget -we can do this, create a home that is amazing. They don’t have to spend a fortune to do it and they don’t need super fancy tools to do it–it all evolved from there.
- 19:35 mins: “Your home matters so much more than you think it does, and it really does set the tone for everything else. It affects your happiness as you walk out the door to go to your job for the day, when you come home at the end of a stressful day that is where you need to recharge your batteries. If you hate parts of your house, it will negatively impact you.”
- 20:40 mins Tasha explains why the blog is called Kaleidoscope Living.
- 22.25 Links to our favorite projects below.
- 23:30 Free Guide: 5 steps to design a room you love. Text DesignTips all one word to 44222 and you will get the guide delivered to your inbox.
Let's get social…
As mentioned in this episode…
As promised, we have added links to our favorite projects, so you can get a sense of how much you can accomplish without spending a ton or having extraordinary skills
Easy & affordable DIY home projects that make a big impact (and happen to be some of our favorites):
- DIY Painted Kitchen Cabinets Without Priming or Sanding– Over 5 years ago, we painted our kitchen cabinets without sanding or priming. YES, it is possible AND durable! Our painted cabinets still look amazing!
- DIY Herringbone Plank Wall– We created a statement wall in our kitchen for FREE using wood from an old fence we tore down.
- DIY Modern Plank Wall– For less than $100 and in just 2 days we created this modern plank wall in our foyer. It makes a huge impact.
- DIY Electric Fireplace– Did you know you can add an electric fireplace to any room? You can! We did it. It was an easy project and requires no special skills (just patience).
- DIY Concrete Fireplace– We created our dream concrete fireplace for under $100 (after contractors told us it couldn’t be done or would cost thousands of dollars)
- DIY IKEA Hack for a Built-in Look– We purchased some basic dressers and bookcases from IKEA about 8 years ago. I painted them and stacked them on top of each other for the vibe of built-in furniture on a tiny budget.