Never buy pre-made gift bags again! Learn how to make a gift bag from wrapping paper. It only takes a few simple steps and is the PERFECT solution for oddly shaped items!
You know I love all kinds of DIY crafts, especially when they also save me money. This simple tutorial about how to make a gift bag from wrapping paper is a perfect example. These DIY gift bags are so easy to make and I think they are even cuter than store-bought options!
I wish I could take credit for this idea, but I saw a video on Facebook around Christmas that I believe was posted by The Today Show (or another morning show–I can’t remember which one it was) demonstrating how to use gift wrap to make a paper bag for your present. I was captivated and amazed. What a fabulous money-saving trick! And I have tons of beautiful wrapping paper, while beautiful gift bags aren’t that easy to come by.
I made my first two bags for our twin girls’ 4th birthday. Our “big” gift to each of them was a Fur-Real Kitty that was oddly shaped and would not fit into any box that we had and it was too awkward to wrap. So, I decided to give making my own wrapping paper gift bags a try and I was thrilled with how they turned out. My girls are now 11-years-old and I have made my own gift bags more times than I can count!
If you prefer to watch a video to learn how to make a gift bag, check out the short video below. If you prefer written step-by-step instructions, I’ve included those as well :)
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
How to Make a Gift Bag from Wrapping Paper
Materials Needed to Make a DIY Gift Bag
- Scotch tape
- Rectangle hole punch
- Wrapping paper (I love Minted, Etsy and Rifle Paper Co for wrapping paper–see some beautiful options below–just click on any of them for more information)
Steps to Make a DIY Gift Bag
1) Roll out some of your wrapping paper on a flat surface and place the oddly shaped item that you want to wrap on top of it. Make sure you use enough paper to cover the item. Cut your wrapping paper to size.
2) Place your paper face down on your table. Fold the right and left sides in until they meet in the middle and overlap some. Tape the seam.
3) Fold the bottom of the wrapping paper up to create the bottom of the bag.
4) This is the trickiest step in how to make a gift bag, but I promise it’s easy after you do it once! Separate the two pieces of wrapping paper and flatten out the corners to create a diamond shape.
5) Fold the top and bottom corners in toward the inside of the diamond and make creases. Tape the triangle shape flaps in place.
6) Open your bag. Then fold the top flap of the bag over to the backside. Use your hole punch through the top of the bag for the ribbon of your choosing.
8) Attach a gift tag, thread ribbon through, knot and tie a bow, and you are DONE! You can use tissue paper to fill it out if you need it to. Now you know how to make a gift bag from wrapping paper! How cute are these DIY gift bags?
What do you think? Just a few easy steps to creating the perfect wrapping paper bags. Now that you know how to make a gift bag, will you ever buy gift bags again?! I don’t think I will.
Want some great ideas for beautiful wrapping paper? Below are some of my favorites. I love high-end paper for this project. Even at a higher price point it still makes a more affordable bag. Also, it tends to be thicker paper and I can find amazing unique and different patterns. Some of these options come in a roll of wrapping paper or in packs of single sheets (which are even faster and easier!). Grab a few of your favorites and keep them on hand to make your own quick and easy DIY gift bags!
Scroll and click on any image for full product details.
Other posts you may enjoy:
- 26 Clever and Creative Gifts for Makers
- Fabulous Gift Ideas for Grandparents & Parents
- 23 Unique Housewarming Gifts
- Awesome Presents for Mothers of All Ages
- Cool Gifts for Teens & Tweens
Wondering how I approach transforming rooms and spaces in our home? Check out Designer in a Binder®.
And if you want exclusive content and behind-the-scenes sneak peeks, be sure to subscribe before you head out!