Want to know how to paint kitchen cabinets the easy way that will get you professional-looking results that LAST? This DIY painting kitchen cabinets tutorial is the one you have been waiting for.
Y'all have been patiently waiting for this tutorial, which I appreciate! We finished Thea's $997 full kitchen makeover back in October, and that included transforming her kitchen cabinets with paint. And y'all, it was the easiest kitchen cabinet painting EVER. The reason I know that is we painted our own kitchen cabinets without sanding or priming about 7 years ago. Well, I'm here to tell you that Thea's DIY kitchen cabinet painting was even easier! So excited to share this with you!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Now, a bit of background. We absolutely could have used the same method to paint Thea's kitchen cabinets that we used in our own kitchen. And I was tempted to! We knew how well the General Finishes Milk Paint and High-Performance Topcoat held up. They looked perfect in our kitchen even after 6 years of heavy use.
BUT, since I had already shared that kitchen cabinet painting method with you years ago, I really wanted to try some different products so I could share another really easy and effective way to paint your kitchen cabinets with you.
So I did a lot of research. A lot. And we ultimately decided to use Fusion Mineral Paint and topcoat products to transform Thea's cabinets. And it is my new favorite method to paint kitchen cabinets!
If you have wanted to paint your kitchen cabinets, but are worried that it is too hard or will take too long, this is the tutorial for you. I'm telling you, this is WAY MORE DOABLE than you think it is. And you absolutely can get results that will last for years and years (though professional painters will try to convince you otherwise).
Thea's cabinets were solid wood and were in pretty good shape, they just needed some new paint and hardware (and some hinges needed to be tightened). This is a close-up of what they looked like before. They were a creamy beige color that Thea didn't like at all.
Check out the full tutorial below!
Painting Kitchen Cabinets the Easy Way Tutorial
- Fusion Mineral Paint
- Sandpaper and electric sander (optional–you can hand sand if you don't have an electric sander)
- Paint brushes, including a small detail brush
- Small foam paint roller kit
- Fusion Mineral Paint Tough Coat
- We used the matte finish, but it also comes in gloss. One container should be plenty.
- Hemp Oil (one container should be plenty)
- Old t-shirts or rags
A few notes before we dive in. We did not pack up a single thing in Thea's kitchen, nor did we remove any of the cabinet doors or drawers. If you have hidden hinges (like Thea) OR do not want to paint or change your existing hinges, I highly recommend that you leave the doors and drawers on. This project moved SO QUICKLY by leaving everything in place, and the results were perfect.
You can watch the video below to walk you through each and every step of the process. Or if you prefer to read the written tutorial, just scroll past the video!
1) First, remove all your cabinet hardware and clean your cabinets using T.S.P. Just follow the instructions on the bottle. It's super easy and shouldn't take you more than an hour. It will help remove any grease and grime from your cabinets.
2) Next, you are going to quickly and lightly sand the surfaces of your cabinet drawers and doors. The sanding we did took around 30 minutes–it was faster than the cleaning. You do not need to sand the existing finish off! You just need to rough the surface up and that is quick and easy to do! Do not make this step harder than it is. We used this palm sander for the job, but you can sand by hand if you don't have one! When you are done, be sure to wipe all the dust off the cabinets.
3) You are ready to paint!
The Fusion Mineral Paint is easy to work with–it may be a bit thinner/runnier than some paints you've used, but the coverage is EXCELLENT. There are minimal (if any) brush strokes. It's incredible. We got the first coat on the upper and lower cabinets done in a few hours. We used a small foam roller for the flat surfaces and a brush to get in the ridges created by the beadboard and raised panels. We completed the entire first coat and most of the second coat in one day. We had some additional cabinets to second coat on day 2. The photo below shows the difference in coverage from the first coat to the second coat.
4) Once you have full coverage (which should require no more than 2 coats!), allow the paint to dry.
5) Once the paint is fully dry, you are ready to give the paint a bit of protection with either a topcoat or hemp oil. We used Fusion Mineral Paint Tough Coat on the upper Raw Silk cabinets. But that product can leave a bit of a milky haze on dark colors. So we wound up using hemp oil on all of the black cabinetry (after making a mistake with another product–we should have just started with the hemp oil, trust me). Both products go on very quickly and easy. You just wipe them on with a rag or paintbrush and wipe off the excess after the recommended amount of time. This step is SO MUCH FASTER and easier than doing multiple coats of the General Finishes High-Performance Top Coat like we did on our own kitchen cabinets.
6) Once your topcoat of choice dries, you can replace your cabinet hardware (we replaced Thea's with these gorgeous and inexpensive knobs).
It took us only 2 days to paint and seal Thea's cabinets. And those weren't full days of cabinet painting. I'm telling you, this MOVES REALLY QUICKLY! Your kitchen will be back up and running in no time! Take a look at some of the before and after photos!
You can see Thea's full kitchen makeover that we did for only $997 (including all the accessories, rug, etc.) HERE. And be sure to check out how we painted and stenciled her backsplash tile here–it's AMAZING!
If you want to learn more about my tips for coming up with a design plan and so much more, become a VIP for free! When you join you get instant access to our subscriber hub full of incredible resources all in one convenient place!