Get ready for cold weather now with this affordable coat closet organization system. It is easy to plan and install, and super budget-friendly!
We gave our coat closet a complete about 7 months ago and I can't believe how perfectly it worked out. There is just NO WAY I could move on from this house without (yes, we moved last week–click here to read all about that) sharing this project with you because it had such a hugely positive impact on our entire family.
We had already given this coat closet a different makeover several years ago when our girls were still tiny and in preschool. I created a fun design that met our family's needs and was easy to use, even for the tiny humans–we hung hooks very low for their coats and backpacks. But fast forward a few years to the girls being much older with a lot more stuff that is WAY bigger. Earlier this year, I decided it just wasn't working for us anymore and it was time for us to revamp the coat closet organization entirely.
We took a close look at what was and what wasn't working with our old system. I then designed a whole new closet organization system that holds everything and makes sense for us now. I am getting to be a closet organization expert (we have recently organized both Attley's and Avery's closets and changed ours up a little) and it was easy to determine that my favorite system would be perfect here too! Check out all the details and you can watch exactly what we did to make this closet function perfectly for everyone in the family!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Organize Your Coat Closet
- Closet organization system. We used the Algot System from IKEA, but it is no longer available and has been replaced with the Boaxel system (don't worry–it's just as affordable and VERY similar).
- Shoe Rack. We love this one .
- LED lights. Here are the ones we found.
- Hangers. I highly recommend using one kind. These are the ones I love and use for this closet: Non-slip Velvet Hangers.
If you prefer video tutorials, you can watch the video below. If you prefer to read the tutorial, just scroll past the video for all the step-by-step written instructions.
Steps for Coat Closet Organization:
1) Evaluate your current coat closet organization. What is working and what isn't? What is your closet missing that it needs and what is no longer serving its purpose? Take a good look at what your family really needs to keep the closet as organized as possible. (Take into consideration things like the following: what needs to be easy to reach, can kids hang things on hangers, how long are your coats, how many shoes need to be stored, etc.)
2) Pull everything out of your closet. Remove the existing organization system if necessary and make necessary repairs.
3) Put up your new system! We love IKEA's Algot system and have used it in several of our closets (and it is what you see in my craft room on the wall!). It is also perfect for our coat closet AND it is super affordable. IKEA has since discontinued this system, but they replaced it with the Boaxel system which appears to be super similar.
4) On the door we added this amazing shoe rack. This thing is so awesome and holds a ton of shoes. If you do nothing else toward coat closet organization, do this! Having all the shoes right where we can grab them is a game-changer. We were using bins when the girls were little, but they weren't working anymore. It is so much easier with the rack!
5) Install lights if you need them! Our coat closet is kind of dark and we found these battery powered LED lights that make a huge difference.
6) Add bins as needed. We added in a few for things like scarves, gloves and hats.
Go and enjoy your amazing newly organized coat closet and don't be afraid to adjust as needed. As our families change and grow, our kids and our needs change!
Now that you have done your coat closet, don't you want to get them all organized? Listen here to our recent podcast episode where we talk about why putting in closet systems is something you should do NOW. And we have so much more great closet advice that will help you continue on your quest to make your closets perfect! Check out these posts: Closet Design Ideas: Systems We Actually Use!, Simple Master Closet Organization, Genius Linen Closet Ideas for Organization and Beautification, and How to Get Organized: Kids’ Drawers and Closets. I am clearly devoted to helping you get your closets perfectly organized!
Now that you are pumped up to get your closet organization going, don't stop there! Become a V.I.P. for free and get your password to our subscriber hub full of design & organization freebies (and so much more)! Sign up below and we will send you your password!