Finishing Touches in the Bonus Room
We recently gave our bonus room a big makeover, but it was still missing a few things until now. I found the perfect finishing touches for the bonus room! Check out the functional AND stylish decor that finishes off this space perfectly.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Hobby Lobby. All opinions are 100% mine.
Hi friends! I don't know about you, but whenever I tackle an entire room makeover, I get it 90% completed and then kind of stall out. It's not because I lose the energy or enthusiasm (unless it involves things like filling nail holes and touching up paint, in which case I definitely lack enthusiasm). It's usually because I can't quite decide on what I call the “finishing details” until we've lived in the new space for a little while.
So that's what's been happening. We've been thoroughly enjoying our new bonus room layout and other updates. And every time I've been in the space I've been trying to figure out what the room still needs. I finally zeroed in on these “issues”:
- I realized it still needed more texture and could use some natural elements to balance out the white walls and pops of color.
- My girls sit and color at our coffee table a lot (I'm obsessed with unique coffee tables). There's frequently a mess of coloring stuff on the coffee table because they weren't putting it back in their desk drawers (the desk is behind the sofa). In other words, our “system” wasn't working (y'all know how passionate I am about systems). I realized we needed a portable holder for their gel pens and crayons that they could easily move from their desk to the coffee table to solve this issue.
- We've generally done well with storing things in a way that makes sense in this room, but we had a few items we have never had a great spot for. Specifically, we needed somewhere to store our Magnatiles (that still get used a surprising amount), our cycling shoes and our board games that used to stick way too far off the bookshelf (see those yellow pouches sticking out of the bookshelf in the photo below?).
- The area between our two stylish recliners felt very, very stark to me–it needed some more greenery and visual interest (see below).
Since I needed some storage items as well as some decor items, I headed to Hobby Lobby and was thrilled to find that a ton of the Home Decor products were 50% off! Don't you love it when you stumble onto a good sale? The first thing I found was this set of water hyacinth nesting baskets. They are perfect for storing the few items we still had issues with AND they were an easy way to add texture and natural materials to the space. Two birds, one stone! And at 50% off, the price was AWESOME.
Get my FREE design guides when you subscribe!
Then I found THE PERFECT solution to our coloring pens and crayons issue–this tiered metal tray. At full-price, I don't know if I would have gone for it, but for 50% off, the price was just right! It's pretty and functional. They can easily use it while sitting at their desk AND carry it to the coffee table whenever they want.
You can take a tour of our bonus room storage by watching the short video below.
With the storage issues solved, I started looking for some cute decor to liven up the recliner area. Y'all, I found the most adorable polka dot vase and this thumbs up figurine. Simple but unique touches that add more personality to this spot!
I'm so happy that I took the time to sit with this space a little while before adding these finishing touches. Now it really feels DONE 🙌🏻 What do you think?!
Other posts you may enjoy:
- 5 Tips to Decorate With Color (Even When It Scares You)
- 8 Interior Design Mistakes You Don’t Even Know You are Making (and How to Fix Them)
- How to Organize Your Life With Work + Kids
- The BEST Family Command Center Options To Get and Stay Organized
- Living Room Art: Top Designer Picks
- 16 Teen Bedroom Ideas for Boys + Girls
- How to Decoupage with Napkinds to Customize Almost Anything!
Wondering how I approach transforming rooms and spaces in our home? Check out Designer in a Binder®.
And if you want exclusive content and behind-the-scenes sneak peeks, be sure to subscribe before you head out!